Bandon Town is situated 20 miles to the west of Cork City and is titled ‘The Gateway to West Cork’. The town has a population of ca.1,500 people in the town boundaries, while there are 6,000 in Bandon Parish itself. The town is noted for its industrial basis and is an ideal location for those who work in Cork City. The town is an excellent shopping town, boasting a very wide range of shopping to suit all needs and requirements. The town has its own Town Commissioners, a democratically elected group who oversee the towns operation. Bandon houses the divisional headquarters of the Gardai and also the hub of secondary education for many surrounding parishes such as Kilbrittin, Innishannon, Ballineen, Enniskeane, Newcestown, Castletown Kenneigh and Timoleague. Results from local school have proven to be excellent making Bandon an excellent choice for any prospective student. The town itself is situated between two hills, and the Parish Church looks over the town and cannot be missed.
The town is based around a Main Street where the majority of the main shops reside. Industrial estates surround the town.
Bandon Town was founded in 1604 and at the turn of this century, was famous for brewing. Bandon is traditionally a planters town hence has a large population of various religions, most of which participate in inter-church activities on occasions.