As you approach St. Patrick’s Church, an impressive building rises before you overlooking the entire town. It is one of the finest buildings of its period in the south of Ireland . The design of the building is Neo Gothic. The cost of the building was £11,000 (eleven thousand pounds). The style of the building is geometrical decorated Gothic. It is built of local sandstone and white limestone is used in all dressings and ornaments. The foundation stone was laid on the 17th of March 1856 by Bishop Delaney, Cork, and the church was officially opened on the 9th of June 1861, feast of St. Columba. Over the main door is a statue of St. Patrick placed there on the 24th of March 1888 . The site of the church was donated by the Presentation Sisters. The modern Catholic parish of Bandon consists of the old parishes of Ballymodan and Kilbrogan and a part of Desertserges in the West. The Cemetery was opened in 1881.
Lady’s Chapel, Gaggin
This lovely chapel serves the western end of Bandon Parish. The foundation stone was laid on the 8th September 1928 and it was officially opened a year later on the 15th September 1929 by Bishop Coholan, Cork, who was a brother to the Parish Priest of Bandon at the time. A local Protestant named George Tanner gave the site for the church. The architect was Bertie Flynn, Cork and the building contractor was Michael Walsh, Gaggin.
The church has a rectangular plan with a wide nave and narrow chancel. The windows and doorways have a Romanesque appearance. It is built of cut stone. The two large stained glass windows at the rear were installed in the 1990s. In 1996, the Sanctuary area was re-ordered but maintaining the original style and character of the church
Presentation Convent Chapel
A finely executed Gothic Revival chapel occupying a prominent position on the northside overlooking the town, and associated with the Presentation Convent attached to the east elevation. Fine craftsmanship is demonstrated throughout the structure, and particularly in the tooled limestone coping, corbels and doorcase. The tooled limestone creates interesting colour and textural contrast against the sandstone walls.