The present parish of Bandon was formed on the 4th May 1817; it consists of the old parishes of Kilbrogan, north of the river Bandon and Ballymodan, south of the river and part of the old parish of Dessertserges (Ahiohill) west of the parish. Before the Reformation, the old parish’s churches stood where Kilbrogan graveyard and Ballymodan graveyards are located.
During Penal times, Mass was celebrated at Kilhassen, which is located three miles west of Bandon. Fr. Donal Hurley was registered in 1704 as the Parish Priest of Ballymodan and Dessertserges. In 1714, Fr. Neville constructed a Chapel at Old Chapel. This chapel stood in the yard of T.J. Crowley Mills. Rev Thomas Shinnick built a new Chapel at Gallows Hill known as the ‘Chapel on the Hill’. The foundation stone was laid on the 28th April 1796. This served the parish until the present St. Patrick’s Church was opened in 1861.
When Gallows Hill chapel was demolished, a school was built on the site in 1895. Fr. Shinnick also built a chapel at Kilbrogan in 1896. This chapel was closed in the early 1920s but the walls of it are still visible. In 1929, a chapel of ease was opened at Gaggin to serve the western end of the Parish as people had a long distance to travel to the Parish Church. The Parish Church of St. Patricks and The Ladys Chapel in Gaggin serve Bandon today. Masses are also celebrated at the convent chapel. Bandon is in the Diocese of Cork and Ross.